KIN Gymnastics is a Calgary gymnastics club specializing in WAG. If you are new to the sport, here is an explanation of what exactly WAG is!
Women’s Artistic Gymnastics (WAG) is an extremely demanding discipline based upon an athlete’s precision and agility. Women are judged within their own respective categories (age and level) and use a range of apparatuses to perform their stunning routines.
- Judging criteria varies and is based upon: execution, creativity and difficulty of routine, and the way they utilize their apparatus.
- Deductions are made for improper landings, inadequate amplitude and execution, lengthy pauses, falls, poor technique.
For more detailed information about this discipline, check out Gymnastics Canada’s website.
- Vault: Gymnasts fly through the air executing precise twists and somersaults over a table shaped structure.
- Uneven Bars: Gymnasts perform continuous movement between two raised bars of uneven height resulting in a series of swings, twists, somersaults and handstands.
- Balance Beam: Rhythmic and fluid, dance and acrobatic movements are performed across the length of a 4-inch wide beam.
- Floor: Creative dance elements and tumbling maneuvers performed to music utilize the entire floor space.